Final Anime
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy)

3 posters

Go down

computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Empty computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy)

Post by Heraldo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 3:53 pm

I'm using my old computer atm, my usual one has given up the ghost. =(

Started with a random crashes, then crashed whilst defragging hard-drive, which then gave me Blue Screen of Death!

Found out my comp was over-heating, fan on my mobo over the north/southbridge (?!) had given up, also my cheap liquid-cooling unit might have been on the blink. So with a bit of cash and the will to learn i set about trying to set things right.

The only replacement motherboard i could find was a load of pants, thus giving me a great excuse to upgrade. Yay!

Purchased a new mobo, quad core cpu, asus V60 cpu cooler and 4 gigs of DDR2 ram, woohoo! Upgrading these components scared the hell out of me, but seems the whole thing went well.....Untill i couldn't boot to Windows XP =p Either have corrupted boot files or a damaged hard-drive, but with no Windows disc, as my comp was bought retail, there is no way of repairing boot files and i have no idea if both hard-drives (raid 0 striped array) are working.

So a determination to do things myself and not go to a shop and look like a noob for getting silly things fixed.....i've ordered 2 x 500GB hard-drives and a copy of vista 64 bit. (In response to any vista haters, i have a DX10 compatable gpu, and the 64 bit version will make full use of 4 gigs of ram).

So this weekend i have the joyous task of setting my hard-drives to a raid 1 mirrored array and installing a new operating system. =s

If all works out ok i will have saved at the very least about £500 over a new pc, so keep your fingers crossed for me! =)

Wish me luck, i'm sure you will either receive tales of utter woe, or something along the lines of 'OMG! I am so pro!!!1' =p
Heraldo
Heraldo
official site pest
official site pest

Male
Number of posts : 81
Mood : computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Cheeky0023
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Empty Re: computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy)

Post by Mister Nice Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:51 pm

sorry to hear about that, but i hope your new box is up and about soon. i built a pc a while back, and put all kinds of neon in it, and then threw in extra fans so it sounded like a helicopter taking off. sold it to a friend a while back.

i'm a mac guy now, thru and thru.
Mister Nice
Mister Nice
Acolyte
Acolyte

Male
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-29

http://www.fourdayweekend.com

Back to top Go down

computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Empty Re: computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy)

Post by snort Wed 13 Aug 2008, 11:29 am

Mac Mr. I like that.
snort
snort
Mod
Mod

Female
Number of posts : 356
Mood : computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Indifferent0001
Registration date : 2007-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Heraldo Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

If i ever see Bill Gates i'm gonna shove vista up his ass then kick his butt till it pops out his mouth!

(can you tell i'm just a little bit annoyed?)
Heraldo
Heraldo
official site pest
official site pest

Male
Number of posts : 81
Mood : computer woes (give a guy a screwdriver and he is happy) Cheeky0023
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Nice Sat 23 Aug 2008, 11:29 pm

sounds like it. don't fear, there is a new os on the way, and it should compound your problems nicely.

too bad linux is linux, or you could switch.
Mister Nice
Mister Nice
Acolyte
Acolyte

Male
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-29

http://www.fourdayweekend.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down